Monday, November 11, 2013

Put it on the 'made up projects' setting

Recently my friend and I had a discussion about 'made up projects.' I will claim this badge of honor with pride. 

I regularly 'make up' projects to do around my house that occupy my attention and dollars. I build flower beds. I paint -- then re-paint -- rooms. I love to move around the furniture and my art work cycles through each room. I remove and replace light fixtures. I spackle rotted spots on my house and paint them. I caulk. I organize. I spay paint. I know no other way. 

To me these aren't made up projects, they are just projects. I like my home very much. Some projects are maintenance and must be done. Most are superficial and bring me joy upon conclusion. 

I think it also speaks volumes about my ability to find satisfaction in the every day. Planting and growing a small flower bed that I water every hot night through the summer is my non-vacationing, suburban version of lying on a warm beach. 

I also interpret this to mean I'm not adverse to change. What is more changeable than your very home? Your safest space? I change. I experiment. I grow my brain. I create new projects. 

So this weekend I'm making up a project to paint my living room. I'll take volunteers. Must be prepared to grow your brain and watch change happen before your very eyes.  

I will pay you in bourbon. 

1 comment:

KDM said...

Sounds like a Tom Sawyer trick...