Friday, February 10, 2012

Conversations to make the brain bleed

It is one of my fatal flaws that I assume people know the same basic things I know. It’s irrelevant how I jumped to this conclusion (probably because I have no idea) but it is firmly ingrained and will require lobotomy-level surgery to remove. In other words, I still assume you know what I know.


Case in point, an actual texting conversation between myself and a dear friend:


She: Did you watch that video of Christina Aguilera and that stuff dripping down her leg. I wanna watch but am afraid to.

Me: Uh, do you think I did? You know me and potty-type issues.

She: She said it was self-tanner.


Me: Running down her leg? Was she performing at the time?


She: Yes, at her idol’s funeral

Me: Who is her idol? Mr. Tinkles?

She: Some singer. Died this week. Gretta or something.

Me: Etta James? Please tell me you know who Etta James is…

She: No comment on gretta.

Me: Etta. Google Etta James, At Last, on youtube. And then say you have at least heard one of the songs that made her famous. And we WILL have to talk about this later.

She: I’ve heard that song. Like I can be responsible for knowing who sings every cheesy wedding song?!?

Me: Etta James is to jazz and blues as Aretha Franklin is to soul. Similar to what BB King is to blues as Jimmie Hendrix is to rock. I.E. a big deal!

She: Who? Oh Aretha. She sang that get outta my car, get into my dreams song?

Me: I love you… now be quiet.


1 comment:

KDM said...

With all the hubbub over Whitney Houston and Etta James you would have thought Sheryl Crow died.