Friday, May 30, 2008

Appropriate word choice

I never imagined myself as one of those moms who has a backyard full of neighbor kids, who are running pell mell from one end of the yard to the other, yelling like fools. However, that's exactly what I had this week -- yard apes.

In true neighborhood-mom fashion, I made a sugary sweet beverage to fuel the mad adrenaline that propelled them around the yard in the first place. Strawberry lemonade, loaded with refined white sugar, high fructose corn syrup and red dye number 5 (which has been linked to attention deficit disorder, but still it's on the market...)

Most of these kids were raised on pretty lean diets like mine so they aren't used to that level of sugar in a drink. I even watered it down and yet the sugar high was amazing.

My friend KW's little boy drank his in one glug and promptly asked for more.

"Just Shel," he said... (He calls me that because he had a hard time with Michele. So I told him he could call me just shel. He has, ever since.)

"Just Shel, this drink is shameless!"

I looked at KW. "What did he say?"

"This drink is shameless!"

I started to giggle. "Is that a good thing?"

"Oh yeah," he nodded happily. "It's so good, it's shameless!"

And here I've been using that word in some many other contexts.

No comments: