Tuesday, October 22, 2013

I like my news like I like my coffee

For a while I dated a guy who was a coffee snob. At first it was exciting. I learned about single origin, bean washing, organic blends, French presses, V-60 (not a venereal disease as originally suspected), espresso vs. expresso and why the water temperature has to be just so to extract the full flavor from every possible angle of a coffee ground.

Eventually his snobbery made it impossible to drink coffee from any shop EXCEPT those he deemed worthy, of which Starbucks was not on the list, and they were all at least 30 minutes from my house. So I stopped being excited.

Here’s the truth: I like my Mr. Coffee. I buy good beans, I grind enough for just one cup so it’s fresh and flavorful. But I’ll be damned if it takes me 20 minutes to get a cup of coffee ever again.
 
Lately I’ve noticed this is how I feel about my news.

Writers like to read and critique other writers. We gain immense satisfaction in pulling apart crappy reporting. Sadly, in the past 5 years, there has emerged a trend that crap wins. It’s all crappy reporting. It’s stupid, overdramatic, un-researched drivel.

I used to troll my favorite online sites, read magazines -- hell I even read the paper. And then I stopped. It was exciting for the first 15 years of my career. Now it just makes me sad.

I used to say, “When I was in journalism school, I learned how to research and fact check.” Now my expectations are that there is NO research or fact checking in the mainstream media. Any sign of a legitimate, fact-checked, well-researched article is like finding that whole bean that when ground and brewed has the perfect caramel/chocolate/nut taste with no bitterness, that when sipped makes you sigh and think, “damn that is good.”


This week I notice I read the way I like my coffee: I want a round story, a fluid tone with a hint of meaty reporting. NPR tells me stories. The Atlantic gives me that bold research. Gluten Free Girl steams with the best recipes. Bookslut delivers smart, tart book reviews. Rolling Stone grinds down the music. And there’s music. And music. And so much more music. 

My source for all of this, I’m not ashamed to say, is Twitter. As a writer, I should feel some contrition for using social media as a news feed. I should value my industry more and spend the time reading long articles about the failure of the Affordable Care Act website. But I don't. 

So I can sip, while I sip and Mr. Coffee percolates and my mornings are so much better now.

No comments: